Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Daily Top 5 >>> 7/29/08

  • "Sam Cooke" - Though much of his music sounds like The Sandlot's soundtrack, Cooke is the father of soul music. Besides, he was making music in the late 50s and early 60s, so I doubt white people would've bought his music, let alone given him radio spins, if he sang about, say, sex in the kitchen. Admittedly, I only included Sam in the Top 5 today b/c I'm currently listening to his greatest hits, but his importance shouldn't be downplayed. He was a major player in the civil rights movement too. He died at 33 after being shot to death by a hotel manager in "self defense". Sounds like a conspiracy to me, maybe he's still alive in Cuba with Tupac.


  • "Free Ish" - A repeat offender in the Top 5. But that's understandable, right? I'd seen the ads on the train for months for the free movies Tuesday night in Grant Park, but never thought about going. Strange, seeing as I'm borderline broke. But tonight's the night I use my head (progress Vanessa!) and take advantage. Blues Brothers is the screening I think.



  • "Laissez-Faire" - Even if you've never taken French, you probably know what this means. I've lived by this for much, if not all, of my life. Some people call it laziness, but I prefer this term. Much nicer. Anyways, every once in a while or five, it bites me in the ass. Like last week, when my dad sent me the receipt for my new laptop. A purchase I had no input in. Well, yesterday my computer came and I wasn't too pleased. If you're reading this, you know I spend a lot of time online, so it isn't unreasonable to want a laptop that pleases the eye. Or in my case, eyes. To fix this, I have to pay the shipping for the return of the Payton Language Department-esque computer and the Dell restocking fee.

  • "Shockers" - So my granddad just told me that Mya Lyons was the niece of a childhood friend of my mom's. Wow.










  • "Bags" - I got an email from an aunt a couple days ago talking about the astronomical amount of plastic bag litter floating, flying, and sitting around the world. My parents now use the mesh, cloth bags to carry groceries and it's really a good idea. There only like 75 cents apiece. 4 can handle a huge load of food, even from Costco, so next time spring for them. It's a small way to help.

4 comments:

DSD said...

I don't recycle because I think it's a waste of time. Regardless of how many people decide on their own to help "save the planet", there will almost definitely be more that decide not to. The only way anything will end up being done on a large scale is if it is enforced or if there's an immediate reward for it.

WuTangIsForThe Children said...

Fair enough. I don't bathe b/c I think it's a waste of time. Regardless of how good I smell, there will always be millions of women that won't have sex with me. Haha I kid.

DSD said...

Lmao, that's some sound reasoning right there.

Vanessa said...

.. 3 comments already?! AND before MINES? youre coming up dallas!

I LOVE SAM COOOOOOKE. Thank god andrew introduced me to those good sounds.

Good use of your head! ahh! it's always nice to see you (esp when there's free ish involved) Even though we didnt get to see the movie, yes it was Blues Brothers, it was soo nice to catch up, tell stories, and laaugh, and get wet. bahahahahaha. but you dipped without a goodbye, not coool.

ps. im expecting a video post ASAP.
comprende!?