Sunday, July 20, 2008

Daily Top 5 >>> RTB '08 Edition

  • "Supernatural" - Freestyle legend hosted Rock The Bells yesterday afternoon/night. He proved he could've headlined the show himself. After Georgia crunk/acoustic guitarist B.o.B left the stage, Supernat revived the confused crowd with a ridiculous freestyle. He went off the dome for close to five minutes. He even did his signature rapping about props from the crowd. I still can't decide who I like better though, him or Juice.
  • "Revolution" - Rock The Bells had an interesting progression. During the 11 hours, the sets went from new-school acts to an old-school reuniting. Sandwiched in the middle was a little bit of activism. Immortal Technique and Dead Prez hit the stage hard. Tech even freestyled about the "third world" of hip-hop. DPZ did all the classics: 'Radio Freq', 'Hip Hop', 'Freedom'. And it never fails to fascinate me how easily they rattle off lines like "I'm down for runnin' up on those crackers in they city hall" to their pretty white fanbase.
  • "Contact High" - The amount of weed smoke in the air at First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre last night was unbelievable. I passed people at midnight chiefing that I'd just seen at noon lighting up. Thank god we were outside, b/c Blagoevich woulda been pissed. I also don't recall ever seeing a security guard during the entire event, outside of the ones that "patted" people down at the gate. I was able to get in cigarettes and a lighter that a friend of mine left in my car a week back.

  • "Reunions" - The Pharcyde performed last night for the first time in 11 years. They were huge on the West Coast in the early to mid-90s, and a bagillion of their songs have been sampled over the years. They are all of 40 now probably, but last night they broke out a full live band and ripped it. My uncle was into them back then, so I'll be calling him to borrow his old CDs.









  • "Endurance" - I never imagined how hard, yet fun, it'd be to sit on a grass hill for 11 hours. I went to RTB with Max, and when the clock hit hour 10 I turned and told him I'd never stayed anywhere besides home for 10 hours straight. Rock The Bells tested almost every part of my body. Almost. My weed tolerance, my wet-ass tolerance, my thunderstorm tolerance, my fly and mosquito tolerance, my eardrum tolerance, and most difficult, my appetite's tolerance. I'm sorry, but I'd rather starve than pay 6 bucks for a pretzel and cheese. The tests paid off in the end though. A late-night White Castle run has never been so rewarding.

No comments: