Sunday, August 31, 2008

Daily Top 5 >>> Labor Day 2008

  • "Curry" - Had it twice over the weekend, and I quickly realized there are different levels of curryness. Saturday I went to some Thai joint on Harrison and Dearborn and had a seafood curry dish, which was delicious. It was spicy, but that's to be expected. But today, at my sister's Indian birthday feast on Devon, I had some real real curry. The fish curry at Zam Zam was the spiciest, most amazing dinner I've ever had. It felt like I was swallowing cinders. Runny nose, teary eyes, sweaty forehead; it was almost therapeutic. Unfortunately, it was much less pleasant going than it was coming.


  • "Luggage" - Is Devon Ave a big tourist area? I ask because at least 20% of the people walking down the street were dragging luggage behind them. It was really weird. I bet it has something to do with the 3 luggage and cell phone accessory store per block mandate in that neighborhood.













  • "GPS Voice" - Why is the "human" voice on GPS systems always that of a beautiful woman, or at least a woman trying her hardest to sound beautiful? They should give options like "robot" and "immigrant", just to make it interesting.












  • "Instrumentals" - Sometimes I prefer my music word-free. Like when I'm reading. It goes a lot smoother w/o Lil' Wayne mumbling. Or without the incoherent screaming of Rage Against The Machine. Listening to Kanye or DJ Premier's beats though is a process. It's incredible how intricate they are, and that gets lost when you throw in a T-Pain hook.



  • "Time" - It's still weird to me that my little sister is now 16. That's young, but 16 years is a long time when you think about it. Rodney King got his PCP-loving ass beat in '92. Just think about that. Bill Clinton hadn't even sworn in yet!

2 comments:

DSD said...

Being Nigerian and having several relatives that come over from there on vacation, I can prolly tell you that people buy extension cords and stuff they can use overseas from there and yeah, lots of cheap suitcases.

Last time I went, I saw, I shit you not, an Indian man that could speak Yoruba(a southwestern Nigerian language). There are so many random ethnic people out there it's just hilarious to kinda stroll around.

WuTangIsForThe Children said...

haha. I believe you. I was just sitting on one of the benches people watching and I picked out about 3 or 4 different languages.

It's kinda fascinating being up there. I get a Chinatown-type feel, but it's waaayyy more diverse up there.