Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Daily Top 5 >>> 1/21/09

  • "Late Nights" Went to the Bulls game last night avec Kellyn. It was painful, something that's unfortunately becoming more and more common, watching the Baby Bulls fold up like origami in the 4th quarter. But I digress. Downtown Chicago is a different world after 10 pm on weekdays: the streets are eerily empty, and the only people you see are those invisible during the workday. The people who drive your bus, ask you if you want to Super Size your #6, and direct you in rush hour traffic are finally making their way home. I don't really know where I'm going w/this, I just find it fascinating.
  • "Trivia" Every time I see Mila Devenport I end up learning something new. The newest tidbit of Did-You-Know knowledge she imparted onto me? There are 44 muscles in your face.
  • "CP Time" Here's to Barack keeping it all the way real. Inaugurations, specifically the swearing in part, are supposed to be done by noon EST. B-Rock did me proud by swearing in on CP time. about 25 minutes late. He had his priorities in line: gotta let Aretha finish singin' before all that government ish can proceed.
  • "Mascots" I would do this in a heartbeat, especially college football. I'm not the dancing-type, nor can I do a standing back flip, but after a little herbal adjustment I could easily do the job that dumb-ass tree can.
  • "Diversity" I'm the only black person in 3 out of the 4 classes I'm taking this quarter. This isn't really a big deal to me, nor is it surprising. The only time it creeps into my mind is during Bad News. The class is incredible; we talk about a lot of things that badly need to be talked about - issues of race, class, etc. Whenever we deal w/race specifically, I feel compelled, if not required, to put in my 2 cents. If you've gone to school w/me, you know I rarely speak during class. But here I feel required to give the black perspective on issues in class. It's like I'm the Negro Ambassador to the class. It's not a burden or anything, I just never realized it until today.

No comments: