Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Daily Top 5 >>> 3/25/09

  • "Portions" Went to breakfast in the 'burbs this morning with Jillian and my play aunt Jeanne. Had a great time, missed and love them both. Being at school though, and being able to control (often unsuccessfully) how much food ends up on my plate, I forgot how cartoonishly large restaurant portions are. I ordered the Sante Fe skillet, which is essentially a regular skillet w/jalapenos and salsa on the side, and it could've fed 3 of the 4 people at the table. Plus it came with 2 pancakes. If I hadn't substituted egg whites, I doubt I'd be here able to type this right now. I knew it was a bad sign as soon as our server introduced himself.
  • "Malls" I went to go get a suit w/my mom after breakfast, and since we were in Orland Park we went to Orland Park Mall. God, I hate malls. More than any other place in the world. Bad techno music, flashy lights, Cingular kiosk workers trying to holler, kids running everywhere, Hollister and Abercrombie in general. Awful. Plus, with the recession, it was more like a swap meet than an "upscale shopping center". Everything was 40% off it seemed like...
  • "Joseph A. Bank" ....even in Joseph A. Bank. As a kid, I was fascinated when my dad would shop there. Mostly b/c I'd never spent $100 in one place, especially on pants. But this place was like an oasis in a cookie-cutter mall desert. Walked in, knowing about the $199 suit sale, and this old guy directed me to a sweet navy blue joint and had my $250 in like 10 minutes. Well worth it though, especially since my mom agreed to cover the shirts and ties.
  • "Prophets" On the way home, my mom had AM radio on. Al Sharpton had a "prophet" on and apparently hundreds of desperate callers waiting to "get direction from the word". I respect the dude's hustle, b/c he was good. He told one woman he felt issues going on with her legs and/or feet. She paused, trying to search for something to give him, and she said she was a diabetic. He jumped at this and said he knew it, then he summarily told her that her foot would be amputated soon. She hung up.
  • "Fairness" I'm not going to lie, I'm kinda vindicated by the news that the South Side Irish Parade is cancelled for next year. I'm sure it's fun to go to once, but living 2 blocks away from it sucks. A lot. Beer cans and vomit on the sidewalk, backyard keggers in plain sight that the police don't do anything about, no parking spaces except for the driveway. I've always disliked St. Patrick's Day b/c of it's lack of meaning and blatant double standards. It'll be a cold day in hell when you see Chicago police let thousands of black and brown people drink open containers of alcohol on the street (downtown even!) and black and brown teenagers throw parties outside. And if you don't believe that, throw a party next St. Patty's Day and invite more than 10 black people. Guarantee that shit gets shut down before the first keg is dry.

3 comments:

M&M said...

Man I totally feel you bout the South Side St. Patricks day parade. I live 2 blocks from M.P.H.S. and every year they do this dang on parade it takes forever to get to FairPlay and when I get there it looks trashed. So I say good riddance.

Miss Kris said...

you ain't never lied about the mall sales...

DSD said...

LMFAO, thank you! People invite me to that shit and I say, "Hell no!" cuz I'm afraid of drunk Irish people.