Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Daily Top 5 >>> 6/30/09

  • "Jermaine Dye" The Tribune is reporting that San Francisco Giants scouts are "checking out" JD. He grew up in the Yay Area, and if the Sox don't close the gap b/t them and the Tigers soon Kenny may ship him while his value is still high. For the first time in a while, I hope these scouts are "checking JD out" in a homoerotic kind of way and not a baseball kind of way.
  • "Simon Cowell" His American Idol contract is up next May, and FOX realizes that they really have no show without him. Simon made monopoly money salary this year ($36 million!), but the corporate bigwigs are doing all they can to keep him working. Reports have offers for Simon to renew his contract at around $140 million a year. A year! Those are Dr. Evil amounts. Good god. He has a better life than Jaime Foxx.
  • "Phonte" Aside from being a part of one of my favorite rap duos (Little Brother) and putting out a helluva R&B album this year as a part of Foreign Exchange, Phonte brought the heat to all the Michael Jackson hating going on in light of his death. Phonte airs out the critics on his MySpace blog and it's a great read.
  • "Transformers" I still haven't seen it, but I've heard enough about it to realize that I would have enjoyed it. Mostly the Megan Fox parts. Everybody else seemed to like it too. Transformers 2 made $387 million at the box office in 5 days.
  • "Vibe Magazine" Rest in peace....or on the Internet. Vibe folded up today. I was a semi-fan of the magazine. It was like 4th or 5th in my pile when I made my monthly trip to Borders. I know someone interning there right now, and word is everybody has to pack their stuff up and get the hell out Enron-style. Hopefully they can still survive online, but it's sad that the print version is no more.

No comments: