Monday, June 28, 2010

Daily Top 5 >>> 6/28/10

  • "Guns" As of this this afternoon, civilians across the country can legally have handguns in their homes for self-defense. I'm not surprised that McDonald v. Chicago turned out the way it did. There's been a well-oiled media machine covering the gun violence in the city for the better part of the last decade. Let the papers and politicians tell it, Glock-toting hoodlums are holding the entire Chicago metro area hostage. It'd take a lot of bribing to convince me that more guns will lead to less violence, but, like I said, I'm not shocked or outraged by this decision. King Richard will have a new city law drafted in time for Election Day, and this legal battle won't be going anywhere anytime soon. It's fascinating how obsessed with firearms this country is. More money, court time and lobbyist efforts probably went into "securing our 2nd Amendment rights" than we've probably ever geared toward mediating some of the socio-economic issues that make a motherfucker want to let some shots off in the first place. To me, the 2nd Amendment is to be taken literally: if you're in a militia, you get a gun. The police are modern-day militias, and they should be given whatever firepower they need to protect themselves and the citizenry. It shouldn't be up to the people to have to keep an armory's worth of straps in their homes. But, then again, a lot of stuff shouldn't be the way it is.
  • "Hype" This is my first and last post on NBA free agency until the Bulls sign whoever they end up signing (please be LeBron, please be LeBron). Citing an unnamed source when trying to shed light on where LeBron will end up is pretty much just as good as saying that Santa Claus told you. But, a lot of unnamed sources have said that the Bulls may have James and Chris Bosh in the red, white and black come the fall. So it's more like Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Santa Claus' baby moms, and all the elves and reindeer saying that LeBron is coming to The Go. I can ride with that.
  • "September 14th" It's being called "G.O.O.D. Music Day" all over the blogosphere. On 9/14/10, Kanye West, Kid Cudi, and Big Sean are all supposed to drop their albums. Logic An unnamed source has told me that I have a better chance of hitting the Lotto than this actually happening, but I'll go to 7-11 and play my tickets on the way to cop these records. Good Ass Job, which won't last as the name of Kanye's return to rap, is my vote for album of the year. Props FSD.
  • "BET"



    I watched very little of the BET Awards last night. With "very little" being the 20 minutes between the onset of Portillos'-induced itis and the start of The Boondocks (no comment). I got a pretty good laugh at the wide, mascara-laden-eyed horror on Prince's face as Trey Songz butchered "Purple Rain". The reverse talent show starring Khaled, T-Pain, and Diddy was pretty funny too. But everybody's been talking about Chris Brown. More specifically, Chris Brown's tears during his MJ tribute. I understand that, like every pop/R&B singer post-Thriller, Chris Brown idolizes Mike. I can't imagine what performing your hero's music in front of millions of viewers feels like...but, I also can't imagine beating the shit out of a woman. Even if she whooped my ass first. Chris Brown can dance his ass off, sure, but that doesn't mean I have to buy his records or let an assault charge on a woman slide. He'd have to be a little more talented. Like R. Kelly.
  • "AudioDax" Peep the new duo, comprised of emcee Krypton Flo and Temble. They have a new tape out, The Annexation, and it's pretty smooth. It's in a space between electronica and rap, and it works. Well enough to get a DJ Benzi cosign. Click the pic for the download.

No comments: