Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Daily Top 5 >>> 4/12/11

  • "Black Hippy" I have a weird relationship with West Coast rap. Some of the first hip-hop I ever heard was old, G-Funk from California; my dad is a huge p-funk head, so I knew who Bootsy Collins was before I knew who Snoop was. That fact that 90s rap sampled the funk era so much was one of the main reasons I instantly loved hip-hop so much. Then, as Interscope took the game over and Game pretty much had a coastal monopoly after his debut, I hated the West Coast's sound. Those seven or so years have ended. Some of my favorite music today is coming out of California. I've been a Kendrick Lamar fan ever since hearing Overly Dedicated last year. Over the past month or so, Ab-Soul and Schoolboy Q have made their way into my music collection and I'm glad they did. These three, along with Jay Rock, form Black Hippy. It's like what Slaughterhouse coulda been. With Nipsey Hussle still giving us quality product on top of that, the West is definitely back. Enjoy each artist's individual work first, it'll make you appreciate the posse tracks even more.
  • "Ray Lewis" Will be the scariest cat on a football field until the day he retires. And whenever he comes back and checks out a game on the sideline, he'll be given back the crown. Ray killed a man, stabbed him to death. There were allegedly arrests and investigations, but I think those are just euphemisms for Lewis telling the cops and the judge that they try locking him up if they dare. It sounds like the Chuck Norris stuff, but players know too. Lewis' teammate Tom Zbikowski is a professional boxer on the side (b/c it's that easy to play safety and knock niggas out in your spare time) and, when asked who'd win in a fight between them, Lewis said this: "Zbikowski is a realist when it comes to the sport. The locker room talk is always that about who can beat who. He’ll be the first to tell you he’s not going to get in the ring with a 250-pound person." Aka "I'd whoop that ass even if he was Ali reincarnate." Yet to hear from Zbikowski, further proving my point. Via TBL.
  • "Dwight Howard"



    Threw down a completely unfair oop on Jrue Holiday's head last night. Still might be poster of the year, though.
  • "eLmatic" eLZHi's latest project finally got a release date. May 10th, it says it right there on the picture. Bogus name or not, dude is the best outta Detroit doing it right now. If not for Eminem, it'd be ever. Props 2DBz.

No comments: