Thursday, September 22, 2011

Capital Punishment

There's been some serious Troy Davis saturation on TV, the Internet, magazines, newspapers, and just simple word of mouth. Everybody knows his mugshot now. I had trouble sleeping last night b/c the image was so ingrained in my head.

I don't really have a lot to type about the whole situation. I believe that capital punishment is wrong. It's that simple. No exceptions. Only a backwards, barbaric society combats murder with murder. Officer McPhail lost his life and that's a shame, whoever pulled the trigger. But I don't understand how a society that claims to be civilized and progressive can accept - and at times even advocate - murder.

The death penalty is subject to the same socioeconomic influences that fuck up the rest of our criminal justice system. Death Row is disproportionately poor, Black, and Brown. Troy Davis was murdered for allegedly killing a cop. Where are the calls for Oscar Grant's murderer's head? A life is a life. Fuck a badge, a gavel, a presidency, an offshore bank account. Capital punishment is touted as the ultimate form of justice. I won't buy that till we start executing anybody for a murder. If Barack killed somebody, give him the needle. If Warren Buffett murders his maid, strap him in.

I don't see that happening, though. I'm glad that George Ryan ended capital punishment in Illinois. If you live in a state that still murders its own citizens, please write a letter to your governor. It's 2011, you'd think we would have moved beyond "an eye for an eye" by now.


Peace and love

No comments: